Friday, August 15, 2008

The Legend of Bob Speed

Officer Bob Speed, a name that brought shivers down the spine of probably thousands of motorists in Baltimore county Maryland. Bob was a traffic cop for most of his career and a fine one at that.

I had the pleasure of working around Bob when I worked the Accident Investigation unit based in the old Towson precinct on Washington Ave.
While I worked a different shift configuration than Bob our shifts would coincide at least one week per month. I would handle flyouts and fatal accidents and Bob would handle the less serious accidents and work radar, tons and tons of radar.

Bob was probably the #1 ticket writer in the county which to me is OK in my book. I didn't enjoy writing tickets and that ultimately led me to leave the unit but speeding can be a real problem and in Bob's defense he was assigned areas to work radar by citizen complaints.

I had heard stories about Bob before I ever met him. Supposedly he was hung in effigy from the old York Road underpass in Cockeysville. I heard enough about Bob to believe it's true. Bob seemed to give no one a break. He heard allot of razzing when he gave Orioles superstar Eddie Murray a speeding ticket. Bob would just smile and take it.

I once was in court and Bob was ahead of me testifying against his defendants. One gentleman told the judge that he couldn't believe he made the mistake of getting caught. He said everyone in the neighborhood know Officer Speed works radar there. In fact one of his neighbors had a framed photograph of Officer Speed working radar hung in his clubroom.

Where Bob's legend really grew was with a ongoing feud with Car and Driver magazine. Bob would write letters to the editor wherever they would promote speeding or perhaps street racing. Initially the editors didn't believe his name was truly Officer Speed. They would always respond to his letters with an editor's note making fun of Bob. Once they published a photo of a donkey on the table of contents page and titled it, "More letters from Officer Speed". I don't believe at the time they knew Bob was black or they might not have used a black donkey for the picture.

They later published this photo of Bob in their magazine. Before long the powers to be put an end to this and asked Bob to stop writing to the magazine.

My funniest personal story of Bob goes like this.
Bob had locked up a 20 something female for DWI and transported her to the station for a breathalyzer test. I was an operator so went in to administer the test.
After going through the paperwork and pre-testing I explained to the young lady how the test worked. I held the breathalyzer tube to her and explained that she had to put her lips around the tube and blow until I told her to stop. She then said that Officer Speed already had her blow onto a black thing when he pulled me over. Needless to say it was pretty hard not to laugh in her face and Bob and I had a good laugh later. The black thing she was speaking of was a PBT (preliminary breath tester).

I must say Bob was not all about traffic. He started his career working the street in the Cockeysville area. Bob was one of the kind of cop that if he heard me out with a stop and he was nearby he would back you up. He also backed the patrol guys whenever he could.

After I retired and went to work at PHH, I heard from many people that they were ticketed by Officer Speed. This included a few members of my boss's family. It was almost something that people took pride in as they were part of a larger family of ticket recipients.

Bob is now retired and is a bailiff at the Towson District court where he stood to testify in thousands of cases.
I imagine some of his old defendants feel they can't get away from him.
























16 comments:

Marty said...

Dear Greg: Thanks for including me on your blog roll! I appreciate it very much!
Marty Davis
Chickaboomer

Anonymous said...

Hey Gred,
The good old days at Central Traffic working for Sgt. Lou Smigle. We had a good shift, Steve Smith, "Bugs" Moran, Tracy Reed, Tony Hopp, "Looney" Rooney, "Pigpen" Estes and OMG Jerry Ruth, poor guy he drove Smigle crazy. It was nice to work with jeanie and you in the A.I. wagons.
The Legend

Greg Redmer said...

Bob,
That was one of the better times in my career.
Alot of fun at that place in time.
Greg

Melancholy Specter said...

Found the photo of Officer Speed and then your blog post while searching for images of locations in the Cockeysville area. Although I didn't have my driver's license yet back then I remember Officer Speed well. We used to say he'd give his own mother a ticket. lol Since you're close to my age you might remember an older cousin of mine who was a detective, Bill Powers. Another cousin close to our age worked out of Cockeysville station, Ray Harden. Used to be some great officers who worked out of Cockeysville, Sergeant Cramer, Fred Lehman (sp?), Bob Fink, Carol Neil. Ahem, and me, well, I occasionally could be found riding with some of the street racers out on the back roads during shift change at Cockeysville Station. Also had some friends who got wrapped around trees and telephone poles while drinking and driving. One of them was on a motorcycle, I believe they said he was decapitated. Such a shame. It's a wonder I'm still alive, all the guys I dated drank while driving. By the time I moved to VA and got my driver's license I knew very well why I shouldn't drink and drive. Matter of fact, I quit drinking not long after I got my license. Knock wood, I've been driving for 18 years and haven't even had a speeding ticket. But then I don't think the cops down here are quite as diligent as Bob Speed was. lol Sue K.

Anonymous said...

Worked with Bob Speed in 1970 at Gulf States Plastics
in the Hunt Valley Industrial Park and remember him and his Chevy Chevelle DRAG RACING another employees 1969 383 Baracuda 4 speed . This was done in the industrial park after our shift ended.And before he was a cop.I'm sure he'd deny this but my friend still owns his 1969 Cuda and we were both there.

BDS8-71 said...

Is he still alive? I'm only asking because this blog is three years old xD

Greg Redmer said...

Bob is alive and well.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if he's still around today? I'd love to find him.

Anonymous said...

Wonder where he is now.

Greg Redmer said...

Just had breakfast with him a few weeks ago. He's doing fine.

David said...

I am trying to locate Tracy Reed if you have any info, I would appreciate it. He came to Western Traffic where I worked for 5 years, bank in the late 60s. I actually left and went to the city and did 28 years there. I know, what was I thinking. Long story not worth telling any more.

Greg Redmer said...

Tracy died probably over 10 years ago.

Thmsd408 said...

Bob speed is my cousin i think I saw him at Towson court house

David Eastman said...

Wow! Tracy Reed.....I was at western traffic when Tracy got moved there for some minor infraction or something. We became fast friends. He was a just a great guy and always has us laughing. I had to leave the department for domestic tranquility but even that did not solve the problems. After a short stint in civilian life, I went to Baltimore City (yes, I know....I need mental help) but I did 29 years there and retired , happily, to SC. I received news from a mutual friend that Tracy had passed away. I often think of him and his beautiful wife who we had so much fun with back in the early 1970s. Sorry I am so late in the game here, I just thought of Tracy and Googled his name. And...one Thanksgiving I was on the way to work coming down I83 and there was Bob Speed working radar...what can you say? LOL

Anonymous said...

I sort of "grew up" with Bob Speed. He always worked traffic in the Towson, Timonium, Cockeysville areas and I literally saw him a few times a week. His last car that I saw when I left for the DC area was a 77/78 White Plymouth Fury with a blue vinyl top and....A blue bulb in the spotlight with it set up to flash. He became famous with the C/D letters(there was also Lt. Miles P. Hour with the Vermont State Police).

Unknown said...

Greg
We used to live on Eastridge Rd between Timonium Rd and Padonia Rd.
Officer Speed used to sit under a tree in front of my house with his radar gun.
In the summer I used to take him bottles of water and chat with him.