Monday, August 4, 2008

And Then it Was Gone

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1984 I handled a fatal accident on York Rd. just south of Phoenix Rd. A 17 yr. old was driving northbound, went off the right shoulder and struck a tree.
He died instantly. When I notified the victim's mother of his death I was saddened to learn that he was an only child and his father left his mother a few months before. This poor woman lost her marriage and son and was suddenly all alone.

She had a cross placed at the accident scene which had been there ever since.
I had thought many times of stopping my car to read the memorial plaque on the cross but it's not a safe place to pull over. No shoulder and on a sharp curve.

I noticed today that after 24 years someone crashed in exactly the same spot, taking out the memorial cross.

I wonder if that person saw the smashed cross and realized the irony.

1 comment:

Greg said...

Enjoy the reads...just added you to my blog site: http://dotnetrocks.blogspot.com/