Friday, March 6, 2009

Serpico, Part II

Yesterday I received a comment on this blog from a reporter in Florida who was trying to reach Frank Serpico. He googled Serpico's name and apparently this blog popped up with my earlier story of speaking to Frank.
Not wanting to give out Serpico's number to someone I don't know and break his trust, I decided to call Paco and give him the reporters number. It's been 4-5 years since I last spoke with him so this was a good opportunity to re-connect.

Frank answered on about the 10th ring. I reintroduced myself and he actually remembered our speaking in the past due to our mutual past contact.

Frank is busy writing his memoirs and actually read to me excerpts from 3 or 4 chapters. Many of his stories are post police department when he traveled throughout Europe. He really is a great story teller and certainly loves to tell a good story. We talked for 1 hr and 34 minutes.

I can't wait until the book is published. He read from the part where he was shot by a drug suspect and left for dead by his own back up officers. An elderly Hispanic man called an ambulance for him and stayed with him reassuring him all along. I told him that even though it sucked for him the story was fascinating. Paco says that over all his life turned out pretty great.

The Serpico movie poster for those who don't remember Serpico.
Not bad having Al Pacino play your life story.

No comments: